6 STEPS TO PROPERLY CARE FOR YOUR LEATHER BAG
Are you looking for a classic, stylish, and durable handbag?
Look no further than leather. While they can be more costly, good-quality leather bags can keep their shape for years if you care for them properly. Proper care prevents the leather from drying out and cracking, and it protects it from excessive moisture that can cause the skin to swell or mildew. This guide will provide you with tips to ensure your investment will last and you'll have a soft, reliable leather handbag for years to come.
1. Handle leather handbags with clean hands.
Leather bags are susceptible to absorbing grease and oils. Wipe the surface of a leather tote with a damp white cotton cloth, but be careful not to use too much water, because leather takes time to dry.
2. Apply a cleaner specially made for leather.
This “soft soap” is applied using a circular motion and wiped off with a slightly damp cloth so as not to clog the pores of the fabric. Applying this soap one or two times a year should keep your leather handbag clean.
3. Moisturize your bag with a leather conditioner to keep it supple.
4. Remove stains as soon as you notice them.
Organic stains from food or blood can often be removed with chalk powder. Crush white chalk, let it sit on the stain overnight and dust it off with a clean cloth.
5. Stuff your unused bag with bubble wrap to restore and hold its shape.
Store your leather purse in a dust bag or natural-fabric pillowcase. You can wrap the chrome or metallic parts — a chain handle, for example — in clean, acid-free tissue paper. If you’ve just cleaned the bag, allow it to air dry completely before storage. If you’re storing long-term, ease open the buckles and straps so impressions are released. This helps to avoid rubbing or permanent creases in unwanted areas.
6. Clean suede bags with a suede brush.
Double check the manufacturer’s suggestions for other cleaning solutions. Sometimes, a clean pink eraser can remove small spots from leather totes.
- Spring 2023 Bag Trends You Need to Know Now 2022-11-22 181
- 2019 Shanghai International Bags and Luggage Exhibition 2022-11-22 229